~RaiNy DaY DrEaM AwAy~

Thursday, November 09, 2006

interesting letter

So our next assignment was to read a letter from a marine who's over in Iraq. I feel so bad for this man and what he has to go through each and every day. I've read some war books before and I felt sorry for that person or persons but not as much as I do for this guy. I'm not sure why but maybe it's because this war is going on right now and now that i'm older I can feel for the person more. The way he writes makes me never want to ever go to war and it makes me wonder how anyone can bear it because I know I would absolutely hate it and probably would go crazy. I wonder how this guy will be able to function in society when or if he comes home. In Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut the main character Billy goes to war and witnesses a terrible bombing of Dresden after World War II. The book follows him through different times in his life and the things he do makes him seem crazy and that he has no emotion. In one the chapters, Billy's father throws him into a pool when he's just a child. Billy doesn't try to swim or do anything to keep himself from drowning. He just sinks to the bottom of the pool without putting up any kind of fight. The guy in the letter has emotions but I think that he might just become immune to all the horrible stuff that goes on in Iraq. Now I'm not saying that he's going to go crazy like Billy but it seems like he will have some problems copeing with war. But who wouldn't?

1 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Stephen Goss said...

great job so far on your blog! Your posts have a nice flow... and your topic are very interesting. Keep it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home